Hello.....

....welcome to my blog on writing, reading and living in London ......

Thursday 23 August 2012

The Big Blitz Jive - dancing in London

I have just found the Big Blitz Jive happening at the National Army Museum in Chelsea on 22 September 2012 and booked two tickets. It sounds like a fabulous evening. This quote from London Drum gives you a flavour of what's happening. "Swing and jive to the sounds of the big band in an authentic 40s-style dance night at the National Army Museum. Ladies can get themselves made-up at the 1940s make-up stand, and gents can treat their girl to a sepia-toned souvenir photo. So get your dancing shoes on, defy uncle Adolf and party through the Blitz!" So, we'll all be going a bit Betty Grable
and a tiny bit Veronica Lake! Believe it or not, there is some relevance here to writing which is what I spend most of my spare time at if I'm not dancing. This period is very popular in fiction. My own mother who is 91 now lived through the Blitz and I hope to do some blog posts in the future of her reminiscences of the war years. People pulled together and partied. It must have been extraordinary so it is no wonder it features in so many books and films even now. My own book, a romance set in the present day, The Sanctuary can be bought by clicking this link.

3 comments:

margaret blake said...

Betty was the No. l pin up, I do remember that iconic picture of her in a white bathing suit!
I loved a film with Rita Hayworth called Tonight and Every Night about the Windmill and the war. Every time I find it on, I watch it.

Cara Cooper said...

Hi Margaret. Rita Hayworth was so beautiful, I could watch her forever. I'll bet you and John were fantastic on the dance floor!

Carol Hedges said...

I have nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award. Thank you for being a bright and beautiful inspiration. The rules for this award are: Thank the person nominating you and link back to them. List 10 things about yourself. (Check my blog: http://carolhedges.blogspot.com). Nominate 6 blogs you think deserve the Kreativ Blogger Award. Have fun!